Underground Coal Gasification Workshop
November 12-15, 2006 (Kolkata, India)
A workshop/conference on Underground Coal Gasification (UCG) was held in Kolkata, India, during November 12 - 15, 2006, under the auspices of the US-India Energy Dialogue Coal Working Group (CWG), and the Asia Pacific Partnership (APP). The workshop was sponsored by the US Department of Energy's Office of Fossil Energy and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and India's Ministry of Coal (MOC) and Coal India Ltd, India (CIL).The purpose of the workshop was to accelerate the implementation of UCG in India. The meeting attracted nearly 100 interested parties from the United States, India, China, Japan and Australia.
The meeting included technical presentations on UCG including: the history of development; science & technology; technology gaps; current industry practices, environmental issues, site selection criteria, analytical and predictive models; economics, and challenges. In addition, the meeting included discussions and a site visit to India's Central Mine Research Institute (CMRI), and Central Fuel Research Institute. A senior level committee will be established by MOC to identify opportunities and next steps.
All presentations are in PDF format and require the Acrobat Reader.
- Tutorial on UCG, Session 2 - CSIRO & Carbon Energy, Australia
- Tutorial on UCG, Session 3 - CSIRO & Carbon Energy, Australia
- Tutorial on UCG, Session 4 - CSIRO & Carbon Energy, Australia
- UCG Modeling - CSIRO & Carbon Energy, Australia
- UCG in China - Xinao, China
- UCG Power Generation - BHEL, India
- Impact of Coal Mining Activities on Groundwater Regime - Geological Survey of India
- Environmental Issues in UCG - Burton, et. al., LLNL, USA
- UCG - Country (India) Status - D.M. Kale, ONGC, India
- Power Process Simulation - Andrew Beath, CSIRO & Carbon Energy, Australia
- UCG Syngas: Product Options & Technologies - Raj Puri, BP LLC, India
- Managing Ground Deformation in UCG - Cliff Mallett, Carbon Energy, Australia
- UCG: Science and Technology Gaps - Upadhye, et. al., LLNL, USA
- UCG, Prem Sawhney - Reliance Industries, Ltd., India
- UCG History - Andrew Beath, CSIRO & Carbon Energy, Australia
- Coal Resource Position in India - Geological Survey in India
- Pond Ash Stowing in Underground Coal Mines - C.N. Gnosh, CMRI, India
- Coal Gasification Activities - Sharma, CFRI, India
- UCG Related Modeling - CMRI, India